After 41 years freelancing in the same creative space, I am moving on. This is a two-fold shift for me.
I am retiring from most of the freelance work I have done for over 4 decades. I have new directions to explore and now is the time. Animated calligraphy and drawings (both still and moving) is what I am looking forward to. I might take on a few outside projects but not many (if I have spoken to you about something – you know who you are – don’t worry; you can still count on me).
CLOSING MY ABBOT ROAD STUDIO
By the time anyone reads this, my drawing table will have been installed in my new studio. I will have organized my essential tools and materials and unpacked and shelved my books now sealed in three huge stacks of boxes.
The move has been an excavation; a slow sorting of framed artwork, old sketches, experiments that stalled, projects I started over, printed samples & original art…. I have found tools and materials that I do not recall acquiring or do but can’t imagine why I still have them. I have found all 12 of my exacto knives!
What is left now in my Abbot Road studio is evidence of 41 years of creative work but it all needs to go away…
A STUDIO COOLING
Think opposite of house-warming.
On Sunday – February 12 from 11am-4pm, I will be saying goodbye to my creative home of over 4 decades. I will be selling or giving away random art, art books and materials, as well as fixtures I no longer need.
I would be so pleased to have folks stop by, grab a page of calligraphy, have a cookie and say hi. If you want to take a file cabinet or pencil sharpener with you, too, that would be fine.
WHAT WILL BE GOING OUT THE DOOR
Some things I will just give away (including a fair amount of art). Everything with a price will have a low and negotiable price. Everything needs to leave the space. Here is a list, off the top of my head, of what I have sorted through this week.
• Framed artwork I will never exhibit again
• Unframed Drawings and Calligraphy that for whatever reason, I decided not to exhibit
• Duplicate artwork where I started over and used the best version
• Calligraphic experiments I forgot about
• Original illustration artwork, including drawings from several children’s books (purchasing original artwork does not include a right to reproduce it in anyway)
• Greeting cards and Note cards – both handmade and printed
• Art books
• Calligraphy Books
• Children’s books
• Knitting Patterns
• Printed posters (Free)
• Misc. Art materials (a lot will be free)
• Pencil sharpeners – crank and small hand-held
• Partly used drawing pads and misc. paper (Free)
• Painting panels that can be gessoed over (Free)
• A few canvas stretchers (Free)
• Drawing boards
• Display stuff
• Wooden paint box
• Light box (home-made) (Free)
• Portfolios, notebooks & folders
• Misc Frames & Mat boards
• Quilting stencil samples
OFFICE FIXTURES AND MISC. SUPPLIES
• Misc office supples (Free)
• Paper trays (Free)
• Several file cabinets (Free)
• Tall laminated Book case (Free)
• One-tier wooden book case (Free)
• Power strips and extension cords
• Small wooden chest of drawers (top drawer folds out as a desk)
• Phone system with 2nd cordless handset (Free)
• EpsonWorkForce WF 4820 printer/scanner (2 years old) & Ink cartridges
• Portable Air conditioner
Dorm-size fridge (Free) Very old but works just fine. TAKEN
A NOTE ABOUT ACCESSIBILITY & PARKING
My studio is on a the second floor. There is no elevator. I am sorry.
Parking is free in East Lansing on Sundays.